Pictured: burrito beans on a homemade whole wheat tortilla with sour cream, cheese, fresh salsa, and lentil sprouts.
We eat these most often as a replacement for taco meat, but I also like making them into a taco salad for a quick lunch. They make a [fairly messy] healthy finger food for infants, too. We usually keep at least one container's worth in the freezer.
- 1 1/2 c dry pinto beans, soaked 6-8 hours
- 1/2 c dry brown rice
- 4-5 c water
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 T taco seasoning (one packet), or to taste
- Bring all ingredients, except taco seasonings, to a boil, and simmer covered for 2 ½ to 3 hours.
- Alternatively, place all ingredients but taco seasoning into a slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours. Check a few times as it cooks to add more water if necessary.
- When the beans are soft, drain any excess water. Add taco seasonings. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with: salsa or green tomato chutney, cheese, onions, sour cream, greens, tomatoes, sprouts, olives, guacamole, tortillas or tortilla chips. Or make taco salad, super nachos, taco pizza, etc.