If you're making yogurt for the first time, you may appreciate my original post of this recipe.
The following is my version for quick reference. Original recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking.
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 2 big towels or blankets
- 13.5-15 hours of time, divided ;)
- Pour milk into the crockpot. Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.
- Unplug crockpot and let it sit for 3 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 cups of the warmed milk and with 1/2 cup yogurt. Slowly whisk mixture back into the crockpot.
- Replace the lid and wrap the crockpot with towels/blankets.
- After 8-10 hours, open your yogurt present and enjoy. Yogurt will have different consistency than store-bought (and maybe even than your last batch), and will most likely be runny. But it will be delicious!
- Mix individual servings with sweeteners such as honey, jam, apple butter, fresh or dried fruit, or granola.
- Use in baking: plain yogurt is the secret ingredients to some of our favorite dishes! For instance, try these versatile yogurt muffins, creamy rice pudding, or savory eggplant wild rice. Add it to smoothies, use it in place of sour cream, top pancakes or hot cereal with yogurt and fruit, or turn it into Greek yogurt or frosting. The possibilities are endless!
Time reference (these are my favorite times frames for this recipe):
Cook Sit Whisk/Wrap Yogurt
6am > 8:30am > 11:30am > 7:30pm
7am > 9:30am > 12:30pm > 8:30pm
3pm > 5:30pm > 8:30pm > 5:30am
4pm > 6:30pm > 9:30pm > 6:30am