Thursday, January 27, 2022

Glimpses

As our children know, the first several years of this family were lived in lackluster student apartments, both of which now have special places in our hearts. They were our beginnings, and even in their scant offerings, they built us toward where we are today. 

Hardships will do their best to blind us to the ennobling gifts that can come out of every unlikely corner, but we can train ourselves to see and take hold of them. If you practice appreciating the glimpses of divinity around you, that vision will become a part of you.

Nine years ago, three years into our second student apartment, I sensed the dignity of my everyday and recorded it for days when I needed reminding. Maybe you'll enjoy this playful look at life that day:

Some mornings when I wake up, I put on my linen robes


and I pull my hair into a graceful bun.


Then I walk out of my room and across marble floors,


direct my servants to start breakfast,


and feast upon the day's possibilities as the sun pours through oversized picturesque windows.


And then, ever so quietly, I hear a voice.

It sounds like this: "Maamaamaammmm?"

"Maammammamammm?"

"Maaaaaaaaammmmmmm?"

 I follow the sound to find this endearing face


and I welcome her to join in my lavish world.

This post is shared as part of my life's endeavors I wish to document. 

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, thanks for sharing your journey with your family!

    ReplyDelete