Monday, December 29, 2014

Cloth Diapers 101

Pictured: Sunbaby diapers, size two.  Stuffed and folded.

I know this is a food blog!  But I've answered enough in-person and in-email questions that I decided I need to make this information public.  This post is by no means inclusive, but it covers the main subjects I feel qualified to address.

I cloth diaper 50% to save money and 50% because it makes me feel productive/frugal/unique.  ;)  I'd say if you loath cloth diapering, it's probably not worth the money you'd save (assuming that is your goal).  That said...

Diapers
I have found Sunbaby diapers to be the most cost-effective way of diapering one child (if you want the diapers to last through more children, you'll either have to do some sewing or buy another brand--see "performance").  They are (depending on the amount and type of inserts you buy, refer to site) $6.50/diaper AND come with two inserts.  Most "pocket diapers" (meaning you slip the absorbent part into a pocket in the waterproof cover) cost around $20, and inserts are sold separately.  So this is obviously a steal!  I've also used some types of Bumgenius, Thirsties, and Alva diapers, so let me know if you have more detailed questions about types.

Even though Sunbabies have the option to come with inserts (which is the best choice economically), I prefer folded inserts such as these big flour sack towels. The downside the these is there is more folding involved with every diaper wash, but they air-dry very quickly and I feel they are far less likely to hide buildup than microfiber inserts. Still, for one child, Sunbaby's microfiber would be a great place to start.


Pictured: newborn in a Thirsties diaper.

Wipes
My cloth wipes are homemade (like these) from flannel.  I spray a mixture of water/baby wash onto the wipe before I use it. If there is a rash, I use baby powder (carefully avoiding babe's face--doctors don't recommend baby powder because of its negative respiratory effects, or use talc-free) with a cloth diaper, or regular diapers and diaper cream (cream will ruin cloth). If you plan to use disposable wipes, figure their price into your final expenses so you don't have any hidden costs. 

Washing
I wash cloth diapers 3 times a week because that is about how often my supply runs low. I have gone for a week at a time between washes.  Rinse poop in a toilet (wearing gloves), then store in a bucket with a lid (5 gal buckets from Home Depot work great).  If the poop comes off easily, there's no reason to rinse--the poop marks will come off in the wash.  Sunbabies in particular come clean really well each time!  Hide the diaper bucket in your shower or under sink if desired.  :)  

On wash day, I wash diapers on the "light" setting with a splash of vinegar and a splash of detergent --basically a prewash (cold), and then regular wash with a detergent from this index (hot). I find Tandil from Aldi to be the most cost-effective.  Then I rinse the bucket and gloves with vinegar (or bleach). The reason for the change in water temperature is strictly economical, as per this calculator

I often dry the diapers on a drying rack instead of the dryer (cheaper, less chance for lasting stains, potentially longer lasting diapers), but a heated dryer is also acceptable.

Potential Year Price Breakdown (including buying the smallest package disposable diapers and wipes at Walmart for emergencies)

24 Sunbaby diapers with 48 inserts...........$12/month($144/12, diapers paid off in 1 year)
Gloves...................................................$0.91/month ($2.73, replaced every 3 months)
Tandil detergent .......................................$1.08/month (3 loads a week)
Washer.................................................$12/month (3 loads a week, $.85/load)
Emergency disposables………...........….$2.99/month ($5.97, replaced every 2 months)
Emergency wipes..................................$0.49/month ($0.98, replaced every 2 months)
Total cost per month.............................$29.47
Total cost after diapers are paid off.........$17.47

The cost of heating the water, and the fact that there is a pre-rinse of each load, makes the washer the most expensive component (after diapers).

Performance
Sunbaby diapers are a one-size diaper meaning one diaper adjusts from newborn to toilet training sizes.  I've had a snap pop off of one, but after emailing the company I had a prompt replacement sent for free!  The diapers have lasted through three children, but lately I've had to replace the leg elastics in some. If you sew, the elastics can be easily and cheaply replaced, or you could invest in a more quality diaper hoping the elastics would be longer-lasting.  My experience with any brand is that elastic will always be the first to go (unless there's Velcro involved--that doesn't last long either), so if you want them to last forever maybe plan on that update as necessary.

They work great!  I compare cloth diapering to using a towel (cloth) over a napkin (a disposable diaper).  They are more hardy for the job, but in the end it means a little more work for you (in laundry).  Also, they are cute.  :)

Nighttime can be tricky, but I have found that one Sunbaby diaper stuffed with two inserts (any more stuffing will stretch the leg holes open and increase leakage) will often work up until 18-24 months. Then I'll often use disposables for the night. But again, this process started at 18-24 months, and soon after that is potty training! So I think it works out.

Smells
The washer doesn't smell. I keep the lid always open and I try to empty my loads right away. The room with the diaper bucket doesn't smell (as long as the lid is on). The diaper bucket doesn't smell, as long as it's wiped cleaned (I use vinegar or bleach) every time it is emptied. It also helps to rotate two buckets to let the plastic breath.  

The cloth diapers (usually) don't smell. They should never smell just after a wash, and they shouldn't smell the moment the baby pees.  If they do, it's probably because of a fault in your wash routine, so check here to correct that.

Happy diapering!

No comments:

Post a Comment