Thursday, June 17, 2021

Recentered

 


The kids and I made this chart a couple years back. It's terribly cheesy--but it would appear that necessary, precisely-phrased truth usually is cheesy. I believe it still needs to be said! Besides, young kids are exceptionally tolerant of cheesiness. 

As I watched a couple of my preschool-aged kids experiencing great big emotions in their tiny little bodies, I became aware that they needed some direction in how to navigate. The List was born!

I sat down with one child in particular and said, "Hitting, yelling, and breaking things is not going to get you to a happier place. It doesn't feel good to do those things, does it? In fact, our whole house doesn't feel good when one person is doing those things. When you notice a grisly feeling is growing inside you, walk away! Come to me if you'd like, and I will help you. There are lots of responses we can choose that do feel good." 

Then we brainstormed ideas, drew pictures for those who don't read, and hung The List up. It hasn't come down since.

In fact, I soon found that this list was hardly for my kids. Annalise pays particular attention to me and every time I start acting short or frustrated, she gently prods, "Mom, do you need to go look at The List?"

In the time since we initially made our List, I've been growing up emotionally right alongside my children. 

What's more, I've come to own that everything on our list is a gift from Christ for the purpose of recentering our hearts on Him--on goodness and gladness.  

Recentered
Stephanie Pruitt

When life's bitter feelings choose, in you, to abide,
When its seems you are looking on the world with dark eyes,
When mean words would make of your tongue their own bed,
And the selfishest tempters keep showing their heads,

Courage, my love, and recenter your heart!
The sweetest of medicines to you Christ imparts.
Gentle jubilations exist all around you;
Beauty imparts so the world won't confound you.

Stop and take notice! Let troubling cares fall. 
Release your tight grip, heed not hecklers’ call. 
This is not ignorance, nor turning blind eyes. 
This is trust that goodness exists and is wise. 

Breathe deeply; share smiles; hear the birds sing.
Surely these gifts He gave for this very thing:
For all through the ages, there never was found

One frowning or falling who is stayed on His ground.

This post is shared as part of my life's endeavors I wish to document. 

No comments:

Post a Comment